November 24, 2011 Leave a comment
Dangerous electric shock for 89 year old Iris
But AFTAID help her avoid a massive electricity bill
“I feel so much safer now” said Iris Bodger, 89, when asked by AFTAID about the rewiring to her house that had just been completed.
She had been canvassed by telephone and had agreed to a survey being undertaken. As result the company had identified remedial works and quoted her two thousand pounds.
Iris suffers from a number of ailments not uncommon in people of her age, and the thought that she could be in danger worried this elderly lady considerably, and of course did not help her health.
It worried Iris so much that she talked to her son about the problem. Although he himself was unable to help her directly, he put her in touch with the local council in Poole where she lives. Fortunately this council runs a home safety and repair service. They arranged for two more electricians to call who confirmed the work was necessary and submitted quotes.
However the council grant is a maximum of one thousand pounds. This left a shortfall that Iris could not fund as she makes do on only the basic state pension and her savings have of course been depleted over recent years. This caused her even more worry.
Straightaway the council approached AFTAID on Iris’s behalf. All of the necessary information was sent to the charity and within days a grant to make up the difference was approved.
A very grateful Iris now worries no more about switching on a light.
If you know of an older person like Iris, in very difficult circumstances, who may be eligable for help from AFTAID Call 0870 803 1950 or visit their website.